2/15/12

Indonesian Men and Their Vices

I wish I can continue the Mother Goose Rhyme for Indonesian men (boys)...
Coming back to Indonesia after spending more than half of my life in a foreign land (and not getting the oppotunity to interact with many Indonesians abroad), I was expecting to meet plenty of sweet Mummy's boys in Jakarta. The harmless sort of family men who are somewhat spoilt and innocent. I was not expecting much since I had dated Indonesian men or found attractive ones abroad. Yet I was pretty hopeful~
Right I was NOT... Indonesian men in general look do round and harmless... but most are round but far from harmless. It was quite sad I had to discover it the hard way... I guess most women have to discover this the hard way...
Aside from career and being responsible, my parents taught me these are the criterias for a good man:
1) no smoking (personally, this one seems relatively acceptable)
2) no drugs
3) no gambling
4) no prostitution or multiple affairs
I thought it would be easy to find a guy who will be the 4 criterias above, especially in Jakarta! Plus, my ex boyfriends have all met these 4 criterias and they were not Indonesians Mummy's boys.
Uhm uhm uhm...
This Jakartan religious Mummy's boy I got to know for months apparently broke all 4 criterias above. Yes, it was a very shocking moment... upsetting to a large extent... at the same time, it was a moment where little things started to make sense to me. For instance, I used to wonder why all men's gym in Jakarta has signs made of ugly nenon lights... why there are spas that closes at 1am in Menteng area... why those cheapskate-looking hotel put up signs like 500,000IDR only per-room <notice, it's not per night?> in shady billboard sign. They all make sense now :(

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete